Bill French, Sr.
Founder & President
Bill French, Sr. is currently the founder and president of French Development Enterprises LLC (FDE), a renewable technology company that was launched in 2006. FDE innovations and ideas are based upon clean energy systems that will benefit today’s environmental challenges.
In 2013 one of Bill’s innovations, FDE’s Dual-Axis Solar Tracker, was chosen as the “Major Qualifier 1st Place Top Mechanical Innovation” at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) Mechanical Engineering Team.
In 2015 Bill was selected by the Department of Energy Oak Ridge National Lab to participate in a special task force “Hydro Power Vision – Technology and Performance Task Force”. This task force developed a White Paper report for the United States Congress and the President of the United States on the Next Generation Hydro solution for clean energy.
In 2017 FDE, signed an agreement with G.W. Hogg, a Canadian energy firm, to develop 25 new hydro facilities in the Eastern Atlantic Canada Region and is bidding projects utilizing the French Dam modular precast civil water infrastructure solutions.
Moreover, Mr. French has a working relationship with the Standard Modular Hydro (SMH) Research group helping them in the development of modular run of the river hydro facilities, modular powerhouse systems and modular precast animal passage systems.
In September 2018, FDE executed a letter of understanding with the Department of the United States Army to test and develop modular rapidly deployable hydroelectric power systems for forward operational base energy (FOB) as well as military base energy at U.S. facilities.
For the previous four decades, Bill was the founder and CEO of W.L. French Excavating Corporation (WLF) in Billerica MA. While dedicating his life to creating a successful construction company, Bill soon became best known for his integrity, entrepreneurial spirit, and business expertise. Today, the company employs over 200 people and has evolved into one of the top tier site contractors in the New England Region and is a recognized leader in both commercial site development and soils management services throughout the region. To date W.L. French has over $88 million in annual revenues.
W.L.F. has participated in many high profile projects such as the construction of “Centerfield Taxiway Mike @ Logan International Airport.” Also, the “I-93 Fast14”, a landmark project for the Department of Transportation, utilizing modular precast bridge construction and design. W.L.F. has participated in various site and soil projects at Boston’s top universities and educational institutions. For example; Harvard University, MIT, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Windsor School, Clark University, Framingham State University, University of Massachusetts Boston and Lowell.
Various groups and publications have notably recognized W.L.F. for its growth, success, and profitability. Included is “Pacesetter-2010” recognizing the region’s fastest growing private companies in Boston Business Journal; “Top 5000 Fastest Growing Privately Owned Businesses in America, 2010” Inc. Magazine; “ Top 100 Snow Contractors In North America, 2011 and 2013” Snow Business Magazine; and voted as nominee for Massachusetts Family Business of the Year by the Massachusetts Family Business Association in 2010.
While supporting his local business community in Billerica, Bill has also pursued philanthropic efforts to the Wounded Warriors Foundation, The Fisher House of Boston and many other charities that benefit our military branches.
Mr. French has authorship of the following patents:
- U.S. Patent (US8414223B2) – Intellectual Small Head Hydro Power. Construction of newly developed precast modular dam structures
- U.S. Patent (0286766A1) – Aquatic Animal Passage with Counter
- U.S. Patent (US9103084B2) – Intellectual Small Head Hydro Power. Retrofitting existing dam structures and water control systems
- Canada Patent (2,830,913) – Renewable Energy Systems
- U.S. Patent Pending – Water Storage Basin System utilizing Precast Modular technology
- U.S. Patent Pending (US0370063A1) – Precast Dam Structure with Flow Path
- U.S. Patent Pending – Ground Stabilization System to Support Renewable Energy
- U.S. Patent Pending – Utility Scale Ground Mount Solar Tracking System Dual Axis Photovoltaic (PV)
- U.S. Patent Pending – Truck/Trailer Mounted Military Solar Tracking Systems (Military/DHS/FEMA Application)
- U.S. Patent Pending – Classified with Department of Defense – SOF (Special Operations Forces) and USSOCOM